Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Oh yeah, now I remember. (Scarf Post #1)

So a few months go I decided I would make my sister a scarf for her birthday. She’s one of those weirdos (like Zach) who actually like scarfs. Me, I can’t stand them. Anything I wear that sits to close to my neck makes me feel like I’m choking, or gives my throat that tight feeling like I’m about to throw up. I kept putting off starting, thinking “Oh her birthday isn’t for X months/weeks. I have time.” Then it was two days before her birthday and not only had I not started, I hadn’t even picked out a design or gotten any yarn for it. Then it took me forever to do those, trying to find the perfect matches that would be best for her. Last week I finally got the yarn, and finally decided on a pattern… only a week after her birthday. I got right on to making it, but had to start over a few times since the design of it was something still sort of new to me.

Now it’s a week later and I already feel like I’ve been working on this scarf forever. In reality I’ve only gotten 6 of the 50 inches needed done. Since I’ve gotten the design down it’s finally moving a little faster, but even then I’m only averaging to get 1 repeat done an hour. Each repeat only equals about 2 – 2 1/2 inches, thus it’s going to take me about 20ish repeats to finish it. I’ve been working on it for an hour each afternoon, but if I ever want to finish this I’m going to need to try to squeeze in an hour at night also.

I really love the yarn I picked for the scarf. The scarf I made her for Christmas was made from a yarn that lightly faded back and forth from a really pale pink to a sort of dusty rose color. I wanted this one to be more colorful, plus I wanted it made of a lighter yarn since we have way more hot months than cold, and she will wear light scarfs in the warm months too. I decided on a self-stripping sock yarn, but was rather worried about it at first. I was afraid that the stripes would end up all out of whack and it would just look splotchy. However, the stripes are coming out really well so far. I’m glad I decided on self-stripping instead of doing them on my own, because I think doing color changes would be sort of awkward with this pattern.

Well here it is so far. The tape measurer is out as long as the scarf will be.
DSCN9569

And a close up of the design.
DSCN9571

The design should show up a little better when I finish the actual knitting and then block it.

3 comments:

Darcy@SomewhatMuddledMusings. said...

Well, it's really pretty and I'm sure she'll love it, even if you don't get it done til Chrismtas .

Auntie T said...

Your scarf project is absolutely beautiful. I'm sure your sister is going to love it.

Lynnette said...

That's really pretty! I'm sure she'll love it no matter when you get it done.