Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Monday, May 3, 2010

This is me being disgusted.

So since the national news media doesn’t care I’m not sure how many know, but several counties in Tennessee are under a state of emergency. Due to all the massive storms we had Friday, Saturday, and Sunday many areas in Tennessee are severely flooded. Including areas of the county I live in and the county Memphis is in, and at least 2 others I know about one of which is the county Nashville is in. We had tornadoes also during this storm, though I thank God none touched down by my house. There are 16 confirmed deaths due to the storm. The storms caused many levies to break, including one 15 minutes from where I live. The one near me broke during the first round of storms and then that area was hit again very hardly during the second round. Sunday, after all the storms ended that city was flooded and the water was rising a foot and hour. Nashville has also been horribly horribly hit. Last I heard there are 3 feet of standing water in the Opry Mills Hotel. Again in my county we have 27 bridges out because they just completely crumbled or partially destroyed. Part of the road leading to my mother’s house is GONE.

But, the national news doesn’t seem to care. I’ve heard views on this being because flooding is not unusual here and there are much more interesting and pressing matters going on in our country. Yeah, thousands of people being homeless due to their houses being flooded and people dying, nothing major about that all. And for the record, no, this type of flooding is not the least bit normal for here at all. I’m not sure where people are getting this from. Tornadoes – those are normal here. The people in Tennessee, especially my area know we are in tornado season, and its actually been a rather uneventful one up to now. But from what I gather it has been over 25 years since the area of Tennessee I live in has been hit this hard by a storm.

I’m sorry, but this is crap. Memphis is constantly in the news for violence, but for once we have had something happen to us that is beyond our control and the media doesn’t care. I understand yes there are however many gallons of oil spilled in the Gulf, that’s horrible but not exactly new news. There was a bomb scare in Times Square and yup, that’s scary too, but no one was hurt or injured. Plus all the stupid bull they use to fluff up their time slots. But we don’t matter.

Yeah, they can all go jump off a cliff, who knows, maybe that would be considered news worthy.

1 comment:

Brittney said...

I'm sorry. I hope you guys are okay and your home is okay. I know its pretty bad and a huge talk over here with the guys. Specially the guys that live around there in the past or with family there. :(