Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Picture of the Day: "You're My Best Friend..."

I can say something not many people can say. I have had the same best friend for seventeen years.
On my first day of kindergarten, 1992, this tall blond girl in big glasses walked up to me and said "Hi, my name is Emily, and if you're not my friend I'll beat you up." (How do I know this? Its not something I've let her live down once in the past 17 years.) Me, being a small child my whole life readily agreed to be her friend, and we have been best friends ever since. We went to school together through the 7th grade and then I moved about an hour away, but we still talked all the time and got together whenever we could. We've always been complete opposites in many ways except a few. She was the tall, athletic, never in trouble, goal driven girl. I was the short, sports hating, always in trouble, no goals at all girl. We dressed in completely different styles, hung out with completely different groups of people, we even went to different colleges in different states. But nothing has ever broken or gotten in the way of our friendship. I've always figured we've stayed so close through the years because we balance each other out so well. She's my best friend in the whole wide world, and I'm closer to her and love her more than my sisters.
I watched her get married today to a man she loves and whom I like. I stood up beside her as her matron of honor and watched the happiness and love on her face as they said their vows and were pronounced husband and wife. I was so completely and utterly grateful to be a part of her special day. She leaves to go on her week long honeymoon tonight, and then, the part that makes me cry, she is going straight to Texas where she will now live with her husband. I'm going to miss her so much and it makes me so sad, but I didn't let her see it. Today was her day, she was beautiful and so in love. I hope that it all works out for her and her husband, but I'm going to miss her so much.

No comments: