Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Monday, March 28, 2011

5 and 8.

Time sure has this funny way of never moving the way you think it should. Sometimes it seems like it goes by so fast you have no idea it was passing you by, other times it feels like it just drags on forever.

Today is mine and John’s 5th year being married, and our 8th year since we started dating.

Can I just say “WOW!” ?
In a way it feels like we’ve been together so much longer. It’s just hard to think back on life without him always being here with me. In another way it just doesn’t seem possible that we’ve been together for eight years. We started dating our sophomore year of high school. True, we had some rough patches, and yes it’s also true I broke up with him right before I found out I was pregnant with Zach. (I blame the hormones and early warning signs of the hellish morning sickness I was to suffer through on that) But we’ve just stuck. Working our way through all sorts of problems, heartaches, surprises, and joys.

It’s such a weird thought to me that I’m only 24, yet I’ve been with the same person for so long.

No, it wasn’t love at first sight. I don’t think I could even pinpoint to you the exact moment that I did fall in love with him. I know I balked on the idea of marrying him all the way up until we already had two children together. It wasn’t him that made me hesitant. It was me. I just didn’t want to be that girl who got married fresh out of high school. Of course it didn’t matter to me the least bit that I was that girl who was graduating with an almost one year old and was pregnant with my second child. lol

Then John sat me down one day after we had Ryan to talk. My parents, who had always stood firm on the policy of just because he got me pregnant did not mean I had to marry him, had even said maybe, just maybe it was time to at least think about it since we’d been together close to three years at this point. But I’ll never forget what John said, “Baby, I love you, and you love me. We’ve already started a beautiful family with two sons, maybe it’s time actually got married and made it a real family.” And I knew then that I was going to marry him.

Once we’d finally made up our minds we didn’t want to waste any time. We gave our families two weeks notice that we were going to the court house to get married on March 28th. A few days later my parents surprised us and said they wanted us to get married at their house and with a minister. My mom and John’s grandmother managed to plan our whole wedding in under two weeks. We didn’t want anything fancy, since John and I aren’t the least bit fancy. I didn’t even wear a dress… or shoes. lol It was perfect for us.

Life hasn’t been perfect all these years. And it definitely hasn’t been easy. But it’s been right for us. And I couldn’t ask for a better husband.

No comments: