Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Yum-ditty, yum-ditty, yum, yum, yum. (aka Chicken Pot Pie)

DSCN7536

Yummmm….
I know your taste buds are jealous of my taste buds because mine tasted the deliciousness of homemade chicken pot pie on Monday.

Yup, you heard me right. Chicken. Pot. Pie. ((aka heaven in your mouth))
Oh man my mouth is drooling in memory.

It’s very rare that I make something for dinner that everyone in my house likes. What can I say? We’re all picky eaters who are picky about different things. Zach doesn’t like spicy or tomatoes or beans. Ryan doesn’t like any green food except green beans, nor does he like rice (though I make him eat it often). John doesn’t like way too many things to list. Belly does not like smooshy food, pickles, cheese that is not mixed into things, or eggs not mixed into things. I don’t think I’m the least bit picky, but I could be wrong since my mom says I am a very picky eater. BUT I do the cooking in this house so it’s not picky if I just don’t make things I don’t like.

Everyone in my house enjoyed that chicken pot pie though. We were in hoggy-yummy-delicousness taste bud heaven. And yes, I plan on telling you how to make it, I just wanted to gloat a bit. This is a recipe that is a blending of two other recipes plus my own touches.

Firstly, since most instant potato directions are different, let me tell you that you will need to do the amount for 6 servings and will need the amount of chicken broth that it will take to replace the amount of water needed for the potatoes plus an additional 1 1/4 cups of broth.

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked diced chicken 1 can mixed vegetables (drained)
chicken broth (see above) 1 egg (thoroughly whisked)
1 pie crust 3 tablespoons butter
instant mashed potatoes 2 teaspoons ground thyme
1 can cream of chicken soup 1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 can cream of celery soup 1/4 teaspoon salt

preheat: 375 degrees

cook time: roughly 40 minutes

1. Cook your whole uncooked chicken in 1 1/4 cup of chicken broth, 2 tablespoons butter, salt, pepper, and thyme. Bring to boil and let in sit at a rolling boil for about 10 minutes. Reduce to a simmer and let cook until chicken is done. (I used tenders and it took about 20 minutes.) Remove chicken and set it aside to cool. Strain fat from the broth and spices you cooked the chicken in and set the broth aside.

2. Mix together your instant potatoes (substituting chicken broth for water) then cook. Spread them in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. (lol I used more butter to grease mine since I was out of everything else)

3. In a separate bowl mix up the soups, vegetables, and chicken broth. Once chicken has cooled some cut it up into itty bitty pieces (or not so itty bitty – that’s up to you; just remember diced) and add to soup/veggies/broth mix. After you have the chicken well coated in it spread it on top of the potatoes.

4. Place pie crust over over top of mixture. (I had to stretch mine some by placing it on the counter and going over it with my rolling pin some) Melt your tablespoon of butter you have left and thoroughly mix it and the egg together. Get it as blended as you possibly can. Brush the crust with the egg/butter mixture until it’s almost all used. Then punch some holes in the center. (small ones – best tip, gently do it with a fork)

Let it cook until the crust looks all goldeny all over, mine took roughly 40 minutes. Make sure you rotate it once while cooking.

Happy eating and enjoy!

No comments: